Author Topic: Hows the weather  (Read 4412 times)

Offline Nolatoolguy

Hows the weather
« on: July 03, 2012, 11:52:31 PM »
We recently had some bad storms in the suburbs of chicago.

My house has been without power an still not gonna have power till at least monday. Ime staying the nights at my aunts house in a different town so I can have air an water cause we have well water an no power. We loaned out generator out to a good friend who needed it for there basement.

Me and my dad have been all over the nighborhood an families houses running the saws. We also tarped up a neighbor down the streets house cause they literally had a tree in there living room.

We were very lucky the large limb fell between both the shed an house. It did minor damage to the siding an a whole in the shed but we were lucky it wasnt worse.

Before this it was very dry so hows the weather in your area?

And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
Re: Hows the weather
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »
Looks like a mess! Rained all day today here in central Alberta. More on the way for tomorrow but nothing we can't use. Watching the news it seems like most of the USA is either blew down, dried up or burning up. My sympathy to the millions suffering the wrath of mother nature.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 05:51:39 AM »
Eastern Nebraska missed the wind storms.   We had enough rain early on the crops look fine.  But its been two weeks now without rain, watering the garden and trees.   Over 90 every day for a week or more.  In the shop I work in was 100 at 4 yesterday, tough to concentrate on the work at that temp.  I don't envy picking up tree limbs for anybody.   Have helped get trees off of houses,  have chain saw, standing by. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 01:59:59 AM »
Eastern Nebraska missed the wind storms.   We had enough rain early on the crops look fine.  But its been two weeks now without rain, watering the garden and trees.   Over 90 every day for a week or more.  In the shop I work in was 100 at 4 yesterday, tough to concentrate on the work at that temp.  I don't envy picking up tree limbs for anybody.   Have helped get trees off of houses,  have chain saw, standing by.

Good that the crops are doin good, sometimes rain is a good thing. To much is bad but not enough is bad.

It hit 98 yesterday 102 today an tommorow there saying 95. Just gotta drink lots of watter I guess. Talking to my friends brother who is a EMT he was saying there were alot of people with heat stroke.

Me or my dad dont necisarly go out with chainsaws for personal gain. Its more to help out the community. Ime not saying I would do if full time but in a time of need I will help out those who need help. I think if everyone put in a helping hand in to help there neighbors the world would be a much better place.

We got the chainsaws, so we minus well put it to work. Its gotta earn its keep LOL
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 02:01:45 AM »
Looks like a mess! Rained all day today here in central Alberta. More on the way for tomorrow but nothing we can't use. Watching the news it seems like most of the USA is either blew down, dried up or burning up. My sympathy to the millions suffering the wrath of mother nature.

Rain rain rain, it seems like theres never enough or to much. My sympthy goes out to those suffereing mother nature as well.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 10:21:49 AM »
We've been hot here on Texas' Gulf Coast, with high humidity. Days of 98-105 for a couple of weeks.
Haven't been riding the BMW due to the "feels like" temperatures in the triple digits. Just too hot for this old guy!
Yesterday we got a rain shower before noon, but it ended in time for me to grill up the eats for the family's July 4th get-together.

Neil, your place looks like ours after Hurricane Ike!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 08:29:35 PM »
It's bird, here,
 from Nelson County, VA.
      It's sounds like things are bad on your end.  I had no idea how widespread this latest storm was/ is.  I lost power.  I listened to the wind "roar."  The wind is quite often insane around here.  I didn't think that much about it....  just another wind storm.  My dog is not scared of storms.  But, she started acting crazy... crazy enough that I went down in my shop to be away from windows.  Most of my area's power lines are underground.  I haven't had the power go off for more then three hours in the past decade that I've lived here.  Our community is quite used to surviving  all types of wind....  60- 80 mph is not that abnormal around here.
     This storm was different.

My dog was nervous. I made myself at home in my shop as I heard pieces of siding from my house blow away.  The TV, internet, power, satellite, ect.  was out.  Again, no big deal.  But, all cell phones quit working.  I don't have a land line, just a cell phone.  So, I was officially "cut off" from any person, 911, emergency personnel, etc.  I generally enjoy being "off the grid."  However, it's been close to 100 degrees the last five days.  I can deal with that.  But, my dog cannot sit around in 100 degree weather without any water. 
      For the first time in my life, I was pissed off because i have "well water"  and not "city water" !!!!. I suppose if I was of the era of dipping a bucket into a well and drawing it up...  things would be OK. But, as it stands, I have no water.   I think my garden is officially dead. Due to the wind, heat, and lack of water, I've lost all of my plants.  I usually save around 1500 dollars in the summer due to my garden.  I guess that's not going to happen this year!
      Despite all of my complaints, I'm still alive.  My house is still standing (minus a few things).  My dog is still alive.  My house, car (which I seldom drive), and my dog are still standing.  So, I guess I don't have anything to complain about.
       Life's full of twists and turns.  I suppose you follow those awkward passages, or you fail.
I hope that anyone who has been effected due to this past storm will be ok.  I hope that anyone who has dealt with any sort of disaster is doing alright.
cheers,
bird.
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 04:00:25 AM »
We've been hot here on Texas' Gulf Coast, with high humidity. Days of 98-105 for a couple of weeks.
Haven't been riding the BMW due to the "feels like" temperatures in the triple digits. Just too hot for this old guy!
Yesterday we got a rain shower before noon, but it ended in time for me to grill up the eats for the family's July 4th get-together.

Neil, your place looks like ours after Hurricane Ike!

Yikes, thats hot. We were out working cleanin up in those temps and we really felt it.

Good you got to grill for the fourth.

Yeh, they clocked winds just down the street at the town hall at 98mph. So essentially we had winds with a force of a catagory 2 huricane. Our house looks good compared to a few others. Theres a house down the street with all the siding ripped off the one side.

~Lee Greenwood

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 04:11:12 AM »
It's bird, here,
 from Nelson County, VA.
      It's sounds like things are bad on your end.  I had no idea how widespread this latest storm was/ is.  I lost power.  I listened to the wind "roar."  The wind is quite often insane around here.  I didn't think that much about it....  just another wind storm.  My dog is not scared of storms.  But, she started acting crazy... crazy enough that I went down in my shop to be away from windows.  Most of my area's power lines are underground.  I haven't had the power go off for more then three hours in the past decade that I've lived here.  Our community is quite used to surviving  all types of wind....  60- 80 mph is not that abnormal around here.
     This storm was different.

My dog was nervous. I made myself at home in my shop as I heard pieces of siding from my house blow away.  The TV, internet, power, satellite, ect.  was out.  Again, no big deal.  But, all cell phones quit working.  I don't have a land line, just a cell phone.  So, I was officially "cut off" from any person, 911, emergency personnel, etc.  I generally enjoy being "off the grid."  However, it's been close to 100 degrees the last five days.  I can deal with that.  But, my dog cannot sit around in 100 degree weather without any water. 
      For the first time in my life, I was pissed off because i have "well water"  and not "city water" !!!!. I suppose if I was of the era of dipping a bucket into a well and drawing it up...  things would be OK. But, as it stands, I have no water.   I think my garden is officially dead. Due to the wind, heat, and lack of water, I've lost all of my plants.  I usually save around 1500 dollars in the summer due to my garden.  I guess that's not going to happen this year!
      Despite all of my complaints, I'm still alive.  My house is still standing (minus a few things).  My dog is still alive.  My house, car (which I seldom drive), and my dog are still standing.  So, I guess I don't have anything to complain about.
       Life's full of twists and turns.  I suppose you follow those awkward passages, or you fail.
I hope that anyone who has been effected due to this past storm will be ok.  I hope that anyone who has dealt with any sort of disaster is doing alright.
cheers,
bird.

I could be wrong on this but arent you guys more use to higher winds as your are very close to the coast an get hurricanes an any side affects of the huricanes. Ime also guessing building codes are alot stricter as far as wind rating goes because your so prone to possibly huricanes. Around my neck of the woods we rarely get high winds so were not use to it.

Ahh I remeber when we had Izzy(are black lab who passed several monthes ago) she would go hide under the tables in even just plain rain. She wouldnt go out in the rain, you litterally had to force her out even then she would just stand at the door. She acted like a princess most of the time. Its weird how animals can always judge weather and are affected by it.

Thats no good about your garden, sorry to hear.

As I was telling a friend on facebook I can complain all I want if I wanted to but I dont think its that bad compared to other storms an stuff. I have friends who lost everything in huricane katrina an some who lost stuff in Ike. I just cant justify complaining of a limb down when there is so much worse that could happen. As a friend who lost his house told me the other day "screw the house so what if you loose it, thats replaceable. Your family isnt, keep your family safe and all will be good."
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 04:11:58 AM »
By the way the power came back on today, way ahead of schedule theres still a good portion of town without power but now we have power.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 05:43:44 PM »
I hope everyone's doing ok.  I actually live up in the Blue Ridge mountains, I'm not used to life on the "coast". I'm used to high winds.  I dealt with hurricanes when I lived in Charleston, SC  and Houston, TX.  I kind of expected to deal with those storms sooner or later.   I'm very blessed to live in an area that rarely has hurricanes, forest fires,  or tornadoes. I watch the news (all too often) and see the horrific effects that mother nature has on persons throughout the world. I am always aware of how blessed I am. 
     Any "natural occurrence"  whether it be a disaster, an anomaly, or a monotonousness occurrence, is too large for us to predict or comprehend---  just my opinion! I feel great sorrow for anyone that has lost someone due to weather, health, or any number of things that seems to take loved ones too quickly.
   I hope everyone is "weathering storms" as best as they can.
cheers,
bird.
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"