Author Topic: Woodworking Tool Restorations  (Read 11188 times)

Offline Helleri

Woodworking Tool Restorations
« on: August 12, 2013, 06:24:13 PM »
It occurred to me that I never did take those final shots of the Stanley No.150 Miter Box, that I was fixing up...Figured since I just started another project I would post those pics I had meant to take now and pics of the before (and later afters when I finish it) of a new woodworking tool project I have started...It looks like I'm going to have a few of these in the near future so i'll just make this my thread for posting before and afters on them, lol:

Stanley No.150 Miter Box - before

And, after...

I got this for $15.00 at the flea, I spent $8.00 on paint needed (had the other supplies already) But I only used about a 8th of the paint and it will be sure to serve in future projects. I'd like to call my cost on this around $20. I'd like to sell at my shop for $45.00 but not sure i'll get that. It was a good project any way.

Next on my table is this Millers Falls 2a geared hand drill...

This only ran $4.00 at the flea. And, really it is some light work compared to the miter box. cleaning and paint touch up mostly. Will post some afters on it when finished.

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
Re: Woodworking Tool Restorations
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 07:57:49 PM »
Nice job on the miter box, and I am interested in the drill restoration.
 If you would, a couple of notes of the steps you are taking.
I have cleaned up some levels, but have not done any metal work.

Thanks

Brian 

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:48:23 PM »
That miter box looks great.

I buy an sell some tools, I could easily see 45.00 for it were I live. You did such a great job I wouldn't want to sell that one thoe.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Helleri

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 01:26:30 PM »
I have not had the chance to make much headway on the drill but I should be able to post the after pics within a day or two. As for notes, tip, and tricks...maybe I should just make a guide to tool grade paint jobs and lettering thread sometime in the near future? I know a lot of the things I would have to say about it would save people some headache (Iv'e learned a lot with trial and error.

Offline JessEm

• MinneSNOWta
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 07:08:48 PM »
...maybe I should just make a guide to tool grade paint jobs and lettering thread sometime in the near future? I know a lot of the things I would have to say about it would save people some headache (Iv'e learned a lot with trial and error.

Nice job on the Miter Box. It turned out really nice, especially from where you started... As for the hand drill, I personally wouldn't go overboard with a lot of resto work it because most the hand drills I've see like that are not very valuable... but maybe that particular one is?? By the sounds of it I'm sure you know what you're doing.

Consider me another person looking forward to your thread on tool grade paint jobs and lettering.
Vintage Power Tools WANTED: Porter Cable 500 belt sander, beam saws (circular saws with 10"+ blades) including Mall Saw 120, Skil 127, Makita 5402A & 8190039, B&D, ETC...

Offline Helleri

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 10:21:07 PM »
well here is a pic from about 2 hours ago, I took it down to parts, cleaned it all thoroughly, repainted, re-assembled and greased. I still need to do some final buffing on the revealed steel areas and I have to find that dang can of mahogany varnish. But it's almost done:

I did find some info on it: http://oldtoolheaven.com/hand_drills/drill2.htm

And, as for value I can only say people seem to be looking for $15-$20 on ebay for ones in bad condition and $50-$70 for ones in good condition (and looks like $90-$120 if in good condition and they are showing that they have the bits and it's an especially cool one). And, at the flea single geared drills go for $10-$15 and doubles go for 30-40 in excellent condition (unless you find someone who doesn't know or doesn't care) and those are rarely in very good condition.... I'd $35 would be a good price for this...

But, unfortunately I am not making money on this drill...Just making my mother happy by fixing it up for her, lol.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:24:41 PM by Helleri »

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 09:14:40 AM »
Just making my mother happy by fixing it up for her, lol.

That's worth more than money!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Helleri

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 01:29:22 PM »
I guess it is...though money is still nice, lol. I mentioned in passing that these come with bits. But, I don't believe I mentioned how they are stored. The but of the handle actually unscrews to reveal a storage place for them. The bits that came with this one I do not believe are all original to it as they mostly look to all be different ages and conditions. The last owner undoubtedly retained in the bit holder what suited their purposes, here is a pic of that:

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 02:06:03 PM »
Mine is the same. Several bit may not be original, but they fit and work just fine.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 03:04:33 PM »
The bits with the slot and groove, are probably for a Yankee push drill?   Nice work on the drill, looks terrific.

Offline Helleri

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 08:31:28 PM »
I think 1 of them definitely is. Because, it has that weird notching that only seems to fit in a Yankee. The rest (save for one brad tip drill bit) are the same kind of cut in different sizes, but they all have a smooth butt that wouldn't fit well in the Yankee's I have seen (it would just sit in there and easily fall out). Moreover, being round like that I can't see them not slipping under any amount of necessary torque unless the inside of the bite holding them was that right angle triangle shape that holds pipes so well. Something this drill does not have.

I am almost certain none of them went with it originally, now. Because, they all fit in length wise with way to much room to spare. So, much room that after dropping them down it it's hard to get them back out...I would like to know the name of that specific kind of bit though. It's not quite a routing bit, but it bares similarity. could be a dowel bit if it had grooves ( which it doesn't)? In any case he will end up filling it with what ever bits she does, lol.

Offline Helleri

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 01:16:32 PM »
So this barely fits the category of wood working tool...I mean it is a gardening tool. But, it is meant to cut wood, so it is going here, lol. I picked up this hickok lopper for $8.00 yesterday at a yard sale. The only markings read "patented" on one side and GF Hickok on the other. And, there is no patent number. They look old but I don't know how old (any one who could help with that it would be appreciated).

Sorry for the cold color pics. I took them inside and the marine layer has not quite cleared up here yet. For these my main concern is going to be getting that white paint off the handles. I will also be bringing to the surface some beautiful hidden color in the wood (a combination of sanding, linseed oil, and bee's wax will accomplish this). And since there really isn't much harmful...And, since these won't be painted. I am not going to bother with taking it down to shiny metal. What I will do is use some steel wool and oil to even out the patina on the metal. This should only take about an hour and a half to two hours and I think I can get about $20.00 for them locally once finished.

I did find one example of the same pair on ebay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Primitive-Antique-Vintage-Loppers-Pruners-Shears-GF-Hickok-approx-27-inches-/321104970922  . The seller wants 22.50 on a buy it now. It has 2 watchers. I know that's not an example of what one sells for. But it is the closest thing I have to one. and from start (never mind finish), I think mine are far nicer.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:20:47 PM by Helleri »

Offline Helleri

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 04:21:32 PM »
And, finished before any new replies :D that was quick, lol.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 08:18:09 PM »
Good job! Quick and easy.

Offline JessEm

• MinneSNOWta
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 10:59:59 PM »
So who bought that pair in the eBay link? C'mon now, fess up... I went to buy them myself and got the dreaded "...ended by the seller because the item is no longer available." :)
Vintage Power Tools WANTED: Porter Cable 500 belt sander, beam saws (circular saws with 10"+ blades) including Mall Saw 120, Skil 127, Makita 5402A & 8190039, B&D, ETC...