Author Topic: Eifel-Flash and Walworth Parmalee  (Read 2273 times)

Online Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
Eifel-Flash and Walworth Parmalee
« on: November 04, 2012, 11:16:37 AM »
Here's some phots of my last purchases. I got these at the local antique store.
Probaly paid more than at the flea market , but way less than they are asking on ebay.
I was surprised how many of the Eifel- Flash adjustable pliers are available.
I researched them and see they were advertised in Popular Mechanics in 1928, a 1/4 page ad.
Probably explains why there are a few around today. Origanally came with  a set of interchangable jaws.Some posted a set here not long ago.

The Walworth Parmalee no. 1  is new to my eyes. It is a Non marring pipe wrench.
This has the 3/4 jaws on it.
It originally came with a set of 4 jaws that mount by removing the pin,and was in a wooden box.
You guys that have been into this have seen quite a few I'm sure , but I thought it was unusual enough to buy it.Also not an uncommon tool , quite a few for sale.

I'll post the photos, some are washed out but should show ok.
Roy
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline Dakota Woodworker

Re: Eifel-Flash and Walworth Parmalee
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »
I've never seen one of these Walworth nonmaring wrenches, amazing what one can find.
Current Dakota Auction Champion

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 03:37:23 PM »
Very nice tools, wish something like those tools would show up here in Hawaii...
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Online Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
I forgot to post this link to the last patent update:
http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?number=871,436&type=
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 08:16:57 PM »
I've got a pair of those Eifel-Flash pliers.  Have yet to figure out, really, what problem they were solving; they're a little awkward to use, because they're kinda bulky.  Perhaps they were the precursor to the Channellock arc-joint design, which seems to get the same kind of thing done with more grace.

My opinion only; your experience may vary.

Offline rusty

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 09:23:25 PM »

The problem they were solving was that the inventor was not yet wealthy ;P

Like most multi-tools, they try to do everything , on the assumptioion that everyone wants a single tool that does everything, and will run right out and buy it as soon as they hear about it.
Like most tools that do too many things, they do no particular thing well....

They are *really* kewl to look at tho....

The parmalee wrenches bring back images of a time when you had to have chrome plated brass plumbing exposed in your bathroom leading to polished brass shower heads, drizzling into a carved marble bathtub, or you weren't anyone important ...
And the poor schmuck plumbers who had to install it without leaving the pipes looking like they were installed by a dozen rabid beavers....

There is history worth looking at with the parmalee's, there are names of important people in industry associated with them, people who would found empires making things much more basic and important to todays day to day world...

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Branson

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 08:09:06 AM »
I've got a pair of those Eifel-Flash pliers.  Have yet to figure out, really, what problem they were solving; they're a little awkward to use, because they're kinda bulky.  Perhaps they were the precursor to the Channellock arc-joint design, which seems to get the same kind of thing done with more grace.

My opinion only; your experience may vary.

Hmmm.  I got a nice pair last spring, and I really like mine.  I like the parallel jaw part and the good construction.   Channellock jaws don't have the advantage of staying parallel throughout their travel.

Offline Branson

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 08:13:17 AM »

The problem they were solving was that the inventor was not yet wealthy ;P

They must solve some problem pretty well, since they began production in 1921, and are still in production.  90 years is a pretty good production run.

I lived without them for 60 odd years, but I'm happy to have a pair now.