Author Topic: Enormous wrench for sale on eBay (Weighs 104 lbs.!)  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
Enormous wrench for sale on eBay (Weighs 104 lbs.!)
« on: June 25, 2011, 11:05:31 AM »
Those of us who like big wrenches, check out the one on eBay today (190546543012).  It is 44 inches long and weighs 104 pounds! It's located in Miami, Oklahoma and the seller says he will crate it.

Offline bonneyman

Re: Enormous wrench for sale on eBay (Weighs 104 lbs.!)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 12:16:51 PM »
Sorry - the steam locomotive work has all but dried up! :)
Ratchet Guru

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 01:04:24 PM »
Sorry - the steam locomotive work has all but dried up! :)

Sadly, the excerpted remark is true.  This former citizen of Schenectady remembers American Locomotive Company (ALCO) in its heyday. Newly built steam locomotives would be rolled out of the works shop to sit on the tracks, steaming quietly, for all the world to admire. Golly, they were awesome, a true indication of the greater world to us boys.   And in those same years, the ALCO plant turned out U. S. Army tanks.  The tanks roared up Nott St. passing the end of our Niskayuna road on their way to the tank testing ground further out in the Mohawk Valley countryside.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:07:51 PM by Wrenchmensch »

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 08:44:25 AM »
And in those same years, the ALCO plant turned out U. S. Army tanks.  The tanks roared up Nott St. passing the end of our Niskayuna road on their way to the tank testing ground further out in the Mohawk Valley countryside.

Great story!!  How many people have that kind of memory from their youth?

Brian L.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 09:17:01 AM »
RedVise, I'm sure you're referring to the story within the memory and not the clarity of it. I have trouble with clarity of memory of events from last week.

I'm young enough that my childhood memories aren't old enough to be "of times gone by." I hope to have grandchildren within the next 10 years. Maybe I'll get to scare them with stories of the days with no cable TV and no internet. Or of having to use a rotary phone. I'm sure someone will try to play a CD on my stereo turn table.

Offline rusty

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 09:42:12 AM »
>of having to use a rotary phone.

Already happened....recently heard from a kid

"Why do you say dial a phone? (when it has buttons on it)?"

Uh.....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 10:47:38 AM »
That wrench was kind of a trip. Somebody cut it out of 2" plate steel!! Are you kidding?
I once made a 4' comb and pair of scissors for a beauty shop door.  But I did it out of 3/8" plywood and painted it.
It hung there on the door through the next 3 tenants (beauty shop didn't last long),  some 15 years or more.

I'm not old enough to remember too much history, I guess.  We "Ducked and Covered" under our little plywood desks at school, while Tinker Airforce base, a number 1 nuclear target,  was 25 miles away.
 We all knew it was pointlessly stupid even in the 2nd grade.

Telephone exchanges had names. Mine was riverside, rs on the dial.  My grandparents had webster, we.  Like in webster9, 2322.
  We lived in Oklahoma without air conditioning. Had a big attic fan though and I loved that thing.
  I remember big veneered boxes with some attention to detail, and little bitty black and white tv screens.
When the tv died people would pull it out and make the box into something else. My mom stored sewing material in one.
   I remember hi-fi and hi-fi nuts who would painstakingly set up sound systems and then sit in front of it in a very precise spot for effect.

My occupation as a child was pop bottle picker-upper. 2 cents apiece was big money! I roamed far and wide with a little wagon.
     yours Scott