Author Topic: A Mac V5R Ratchet Dream Dies  (Read 3221 times)

Offline kxxr

A Mac V5R Ratchet Dream Dies
« on: July 28, 2012, 01:05:32 PM »
I didn't take before photos of this ratchet, but you've all seen them. Rusted, greasy abandoned tools that were stored in a half pan of water for 20 years. The kind where 2% of the weight of it rubs off in your hand when you pick it up, in the form of the hated 'crud'. Anyway, I was determined to revive it, turn at least a bolt or two on an appropriately vintage pickup truck and then retire it to the wall with dignity. But after 2 days of struggle as time allowed, I have gotten it apart as far as I can. I would like to track down a repair kit and go that route, but I have not been able to determine what will fit in it. I'm thinking one of the SK repair kits is my best bet. I had the V5R autopsy thread on GJ for reference and things went pretty much as described. Thanks to PlombBob on GJ.
Here is as far as I got. I got all the big crud knocked off and stopped disassembly at this point.

No sense getting the pawl out because the pin that is inserted in the selector post is rusted in. There is a spring behind it and neither will budge. I had to fish a small punch through the guts in order to tap the pin far enough into the post to be able to lift it out of the assembly. I think I'm out of business though, because the pin will not move now and so there is no chance of the selector functioning again.
You can see the stuck pin on the selector post in this picture:

I am now on the hunt for a repair kit. I have the post soaking in oil in a last ditch effort. If all else fails, I will make it pretty and hang it in it's final resting place, the wall. :(
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:07:35 PM by kxxr »

Offline kxxr

Re: A Mac V5R Ratchet Dream Dies
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 01:47:39 PM »
Here's what full disassembly looks like, courtesy of PlombBob:

You can see the little pin and spring that are welded inside of my selector post.

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 02:36:21 PM »
Drill out the pin with a very small drill bit with plenty of lube, use an ez out to remove the rest of the pin that wasn't drilled, then fish out the spring.

Then, go from there with the repair kit. If the repair kit doesn't have the pin, then make a new one from the proper size stock.

My concern would be the inside of the housing where the pawl contacts during the ratchet action. If those are too degraded from rust/corrosion, then no repair kit will make it work correctly.

Just my $.02 worth.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 03:01:18 PM »
I may have to give that a try, keykeeper. The teeth inside the head look uniform in size and intact, but you can't tell how much wear there is without something to compare to. The teeth on the pawl actually look a little rougher than the ones in the head, but I think they'll clean up with a little file work. I really don't expect to be able to make it into a reliable user. I just wanted to make it work one more time and then hang it up for display. I spotted it at a yard sale in as bad of condition as any ratchet could be and I just couldn't leave it that way. The yard sale guy threw it in for free and I could tell he thought I was softheaded for wanting it.
Of all the ratchets I have around here, I don't see a half drive SK. Do you think there's any chance an SK kit would drop in to it?
Thanks for the tips. kr.

Offline TOOLHOUND!

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 03:24:14 PM »
I didn't take before photos of this ratchet, but you've all seen them. Rusted, greasy abandoned tools that were stored in a half pan of water for 20 years. The kind where 2% of the weight of it rubs off in your hand when you pick it up, in the form of the hated 'crud'. Anyway, I was determined to revive it, turn at least a bolt or two on an appropriately vintage pickup truck and then retire it to the wall with dignity. But after 2 days of struggle as time allowed, I have gotten it apart as far as I can. I would like to track down a repair kit and go that route, but I have not been able to determine what will fit in it. I'm thinking one of the SK repair kits is my best bet. I had the V5R autopsy thread on GJ for reference and things went pretty much as described. Thanks to PlombBob on GJ.
Here is as far as I got. I got all the big crud knocked off and stopped disassembly at this point.

No sense getting the pawl out because the pin that is inserted in the selector post is rusted in. There is a spring behind it and neither will budge. I had to fish a small punch through the guts in order to tap the pin far enough into the post to be able to lift it out of the assembly. I think I'm out of business though, because the pin will not move now and so there is no chance of the selector functioning again.
You can see the stuck pin on the selector post in this picture:

I am now on the hunt for a repair kit. I have the post soaking in oil in a last ditch effort. If all else fails, I will make it pretty and hang it in it's final resting place, the wall. :(

Great score~!  A sought after ratchet by S-K, Mac, and old tool collectors in general.

My opinion is the modern S-K mechanisms will interchange, and you may be able to re-use the reversing lever from the Mac.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 03:33:24 PM »
  AA shows the SK 4270 (pat. 1981526), produced in the 30s, and the later SK42470 (pat. 2232477). The 42470 apparently has an "improved drive mechanism" over the 4270. They look identical in the pictures.

I don't know which wrench this Mac is, 4270 or 42470, but since the improved model first appeared in 1941, my guess is that this Mac (and the Artisan branded ones) are the later model, the 42470.

Anyway, the rebuild kits are readily avalable for the 42470. I suppose a close look at the patent drawings would show whether the kits are interchangeable. My guess is that they are not.

Amazon has the kits for about $21. I think drilling out the old pin may be worth a try.

PS: it looks like AA has gotten some of the SK pictures back up on their site. Some are still missing though and others don't appear until after you click the associated link.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 03:35:15 PM by kxxr »

Offline TOOLHOUND!

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 04:18:18 PM »
I'll been leaving shortly.........but be back later.

Have the S-K, Artisan, and Mac version of that ratchet.  Will try to interchange the mechanisms, and post results later.

Offline TOOLHOUND!

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 10:04:49 PM »
Interchange confirmed.........my S-K 42470 swapped into the Mac V5R with ease.

I believe the ratchet mechanism I removed from the Mac was a modern S-K replacement, given the width of the reversing lever.

I also noticed the Mac has the same S-K 2 letter code cast in the same spot designating the mold(?) the ratchet was made from.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 10:07:51 PM by TOOLHOUND! »

Offline kxxr

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 10:06:42 PM »
Great news Toolhound. Thanks for checking that out!