Author Topic: French wrench  (Read 4534 times)

Offline Billman49

• Collector of edged tools, especially billhooks...
    • A Load of Old Billhooks
French wrench
« on: April 18, 2012, 11:35:28 AM »
Hi
Not sure if this is OK on the forum, but found this on ebay France - one of you wrench collectors may fancy it - I prefer French wenches....
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ART-POPULAIRE-ANCIEN-OUTIL-DE-MECANIQUE-CLE-ARTICULEE-PERFECT-28-M-M-ET-CARDOT-/280864455745?pt=FR_JG_Art_Objets_XIX&hash=item4164d37c41
If not you may just like the image.....
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:37:14 AM by Billman49 »

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
Re: French wrench
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 05:40:10 PM »
different but they do not list length   bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 06:18:32 PM »
Nice wrench, all I need to do is figure out what 3J is and I might bid
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 07:41:14 PM »

J - Jours days...you have a little time.

But it doesn't look like it will ship overseas :(

It is kinda purty, but I know nothing of French wrenches :(

At least the French have enough sense to catagorize wrenches under Art :)
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 08:19:32 PM »
It IS art! Looks like it has teeth, too. My guess is about 8 inches.

I have sent him a request for the length. (Quelle est la longueur de cette clé?)
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 03:36:54 PM »
The answer-
dans toutes les positions, elle mesure 21,5cm de long( ouverte ou fermée )
" In all positions it measures 21.5 centimeters in length ( open or closed) "

21.5 cm = 8.46456 "

As for price- 8 Euros equals $10.47  ( today)
And shipping at 7.1 Euros equals $9.29 ( today )

He makes no provision for shipping to the States.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:43:47 PM by Papaw »
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline mrchuck

• Contributor
  • retired Federal LEO Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 11:14:44 AM »
I didn't know the French had wrenches.
I have owned 3 French cars, a Citroen, a Peugeot, and a Renault.
They ALL had the same problem,,,they just fell apart!!!!!!!
Amazing!!!
Molon Labe

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 01:41:30 PM »
I didn't know the French had wrenches.
I have owned 3 French cars, a Citroen, a Peugeot, and a Renault.
They ALL had the same problem,,,they just fell apart!!!!!!!
Amazing!!!
tThats because thy didn't have wrenches to tighten nuts   lol  bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline rusty

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 04:46:47 PM »

I had a Renault, goofiest car I ever owned. The water pump was on the top of the motor, above the level of water in the radiator. Apparently in France water flows uphill...

It also had this funny idea that going into first gear would be a good idea at 60 MPH on the freeway...

The car had been hit something like 10 times while it was a company car, in every case the other driver said the same thing "I didn't see it!".
Green cars are like that, they look like lawns and shrubs.

I finally sold it to my next door neighbors kid's girlfriend. Primarily because she gave me more than the $50 the scrap guy was going to give me.

It needed an alternator, so I decided to scrap it....after finding out the cost of the alternator was 4 times what the car was worth...(and only available from a Jeep dealer...go figure that one out)

The moral of this story is...never buy a green car -P

Anyone who desires to become an auto mechanic should be forced to drive an 80's renault, a VW bug, a 20 year old Ford van, and an old 220D mercedes in the winter, and an old wet Saab. If they still want to have anything to do with cars, *then8 they can go but the tools ;P

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 05:18:08 PM »
Quote.......a 20 year old Ford van.........Warning though if you get the van you may not want anything else, talk about freedom
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Branson

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 11:07:30 AM »
Hmmm... Learned to drive in a green Renault Dauphine.  VW bug?  I bought one in '69 that gave me 30 years of fun.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 03:02:22 PM »

I had a Renault, goofiest car I ever owned. The water pump was on the top of the motor, above the level of water in the radiator. Apparently in France water flows uphill...

My dad had a Caravelle, the sports car* version of the Dauphine**.  The radiator was trapped under the cowl, so they ran a short length of what looked like small-diameter fire hose from the normal filler cap location to a bracket on the hood, with a regular pressurized radiator cap closing it off.  If the cap leaked - if, for instance, you dropped the cap on the ground while filling things up before a picnic date with your girlfriend and broke off the seal - water would spill out of the hose and drip down on the distributor, which was cleverly placed under this bracket, leading to mysterious car stoppages and a ticked-off girlfriend.

That and the fact that the shift linkage was so loose that third and fourth gear had the stick way, way over to the right, so that putting it in fourth gear could easily be mistaken for attempting to cop a feel...well, I understand why the Caravelle is a rare car.

*I use that phrase extremely loosely in this case.
**Those too young to have seen a Dauphine should know that the motor was in the back, with the radiator under the rear window, with air fed in by little side scoops behind the rear doors.

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 09:57:53 AM »
Without going into too much detail, the 4 worst cars I have bought new (to date, stay tuned) are, in order:

1. 1967 Austin-Healey Mk III 3000 - Never brake while negotiating sharp turns, beware of sudden  engine and electrical failures, don't go fast across Rt. 30 tire ruts in the asphalt.

2. 1969 Corvair Monza convertible - burned out its exhaust valve guides, once under warranty; followed tire ruts in hot pavement on Maryland 213 north of the Bohemia River. GM gave me a sizeable check to buy another GM car.

3. Citation - drove it only 47,000 miles it was so bad; it had a std. transmission which GM had clearly forgotten how to build, replaced the clutch 3 times, and was told by the Chevy Service Manager that "I didn't know how to drive a car with a standard transmission."   The Citation would not go down icy hills with doing a 180 degree spin - something to do with braking valve system.  Yuk!!  This is the last GM car I will ever buy!

4. 1988 Mazda 929. Had to replace speedometer cable (3x), had to replace salt-damaged Hirada antennas (4x), had to rebuild auto trans (3x), had to replace HVAC fan motor, had to replace left front door window switch, had to replace radio, never overcame gasoline smell in the cabin, feared driving the car in snowstorms as 4-wheel steering would do irresponsible things like take me across all southbound and northbound lanes without warning, had to replace transmission-selection switch. I kept this car for 330,000 miles because my young son thought it was "awesome".

I now own a 2003 Subaru Legacy which was evidently designed by serious people at Fuji Heavy Industries, and built in Indiana.  The last new car I owned that was designed with a degree of care approaching Subaru's was a 1970 Chevelle Malibu with a 250-inch straight six, an unbreakable auto trans, and a massive box frame (the sheetmetal still rusted, and the seat fabric wore out and had to be replaced).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:29:45 PM by Wrenchmensch »

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 06:19:11 PM »
Subaru has always built a dependable car in my opinion, I have always questioned why we dont see more of them.

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 08:40:24 AM »
Subarus are bought by sensible people who live in, or close to, hilly country where it snows.  And they buy more than one.  The wife of the richest man I know drives one.  He drives an old Oldsmobile Alero.