Author Topic: Advance Forging & Tool Wks. Pipe Wrench  (Read 736 times)

Offline Danks

Advance Forging & Tool Wks. Pipe Wrench
« on: March 08, 2022, 11:10:38 PM »
I am trying to find the patent for this wrench, the reference in K.L. Copes book (Nov. 17, 1914 - US Patent No. 1,117,574) does not appear to be the wrench that i have.
My wrench has the markings as per the DATAMP entry for that patent number. Does this mean that the wrench produced is quite different to the wrench patented, or is there another patent that I have not been able to locate. Any help in solving this mystery would be appreciated. Cheers Danks

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
Re: Advance Forging & Tool Wks. Pipe Wrench
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 08:02:44 AM »
I don't know enough about this wrench but it could be a later design that wasn't patented or the design was changed after the patent was issued. I don't see either design in Schulz's book.

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 08:39:01 AM »
I've been doing some additional "google books" research & all I can find on ADVANCE FORGING & TOOL WORKS relates to 1921-1922 plans to build some new production facilities - they intended to supply drop forged parts to the auto industry.  Have no idea where COPE got his info., or what the company was like prior to 1921.

Offline Danks

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 03:29:12 PM »
Thank you guys, for your replies, looks like another one  to add to the "more info required" pile. Cheers

Offline Danks

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 08:14:03 PM »
Another possibility that i have come across after going through K.L.Cope' book is an entry under Kentowski & Co., Chicago Ill. This enterprise was formed as a partnership between M.E. Kentowski, T.E. Winiarski and A.S. Lizak and was formed around 1920. "Products included a quick-adjusting pipe wrench, patented July 19, 1921, by A.S. Lizak". The drawing accompanying the text is similar to  my photos above showing Advance Forging & Tool Wks on the handle, even the handle shape is very similar. Advance Forging and Tool works were also in Chicago. Ill. The patent for this wrench does not come up on DATAMP, however i have found it on the US Patent & Trademark site: Patent number 1,385,180 - July 19, 1921 by August S. Lizak. Cheers Danks