Author Topic: Williams Superrench  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Northwoods

Williams Superrench
« on: December 23, 2015, 04:55:23 PM »
Came across a Williams Superrench but can't find out much about it.  It is a hex combination wrench.

It is like the one below--except that mine is XOE-618 ( 9/16" ).
What can you tell me?  Why are they so scarce, when were they made, why in 6 point, not 12?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Williams-used-SUPERRENCH-XOE-624-combination-box-end-wrench-6pt-3-4-hard-to-find-/161922224789?hash=item25b3511295:g:-zsAAOSw5VFWKQ4Y
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
Re: Williams Superrench
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 11:57:26 PM »
Northwoods,

You might want to check the Alloy Artifacts website; they have some good information on Williams wrenches (including the Superrench era).

Regarding scarcity-- I don't think they are scarce.  I see Williams Superrench combo wrenches in my local pawn shops, flea markets, and swap meets every week.  ebay also has them in good numbers (sometimes complete sets).  The 12-point versions are more common than the 6-point versions; I probably see ten 12-point wrenches for every one 6-point wrench in Williams and most other brands.  The 12-points have been the standard broach for at least 75 years. 
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society

Offline leg17

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 08:25:17 AM »
I always wondered about these XOE series as well.

Maybe someone with a Williams catalog from the 80's or 90's could shed some light.

Keep us posted if you find any more info.

Offline bill300d

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 01:41:26 PM »
Probably post 1993 when Snap On purchased them.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 12:45:25 PM »
Six point for those times that you REALLY want to round the corners off the nut.

More seriously, a six point box wrench will turn a nut that's been beat to [bad words] by people using nut-rounding tools like adjustable wrenches.  A 12-point box sometimes can't get enough purchase on a badly treated nut.  And, connected with that, you can apply a lot more grunt without rounding off the nut.