Author Topic: Some of My Eifel Pliers  (Read 6330 times)

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
Some of My Eifel Pliers
« on: October 16, 2014, 04:07:59 PM »
Here's some of my Eifel Pliers. I can also post photos of two screwdrivers and some of the brochures that were in the pouches if anybody wants to see them.

These are arranged roughly by age with the oldest on the bottom, left. The first one is marked 8" A21, second is 8-1/2" B22,
3rd, is not dated (this one has the angled teeth, all the rest have straight teeth), 4th is 8-1/2" 1933. the last dated one is on the middle row in the plastic pouch (1956)

These are all 7 inchers. earliest is dated 1933, last date is 1952. The one with the plastic coated handles is not dated

These show some of the different jaws

Top row are Heycos, bottom row are modifications

Assorted jaws

Below are some of the different pouches

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Re: Some of My Eifel Pliers
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 04:50:36 PM »
That is a really outstanding collection!!

I've heard of some of those jaw types but have never seen them...until now.  Thanks for the post.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 06:08:29 PM »

Whadda ya think, Yadda  and Charles Garrett?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Yadda

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 09:24:37 PM »

Whadda ya think, Yadda  and Charles Garrett?

Wow!  Just wow! 

So many bits and pieces and sets I haven't seen before. Nice!  I salute you and your collection!

I need more pictures when you have time.  The two that look like leather punches are new to me.  Any info?

Also, the plastic handles with the big jaws, a close up of the sides and jaws.

Finally, some of these look familiar?   Recent auction near St.Louis?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:28:54 PM by Yadda »
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Charles Garrett

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 10:41:32 PM »
 The great Planes sale some time back Mike sold my Eifel collection.  I know Bus bot some.  There was a 1920 and a couple of 21s sold along with my notebook.  I only have a 7" with just plier jaw in my tool box that I bot recently at a Flea @ Monroe Fair grnds. My big thing now and has been for some time is the Koeth Kombination Kit multi jaw p[lier type.  I have a couple of notebooks full of their history.  I also have the first 2 made in Farmington, MO.(1905) and the last set made in Auburn, NY in 1935.I claim that such activity keeps me out of the Bingo parlors.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 05:56:47 AM »
I knew some of them looked familiar. Bus made some great buys.  I missed that auction. A really great collection!  Because of that particular auction my want list is longer....

The 3K sets are really neat.   I keep hoping to find one at an unrealisticly low price I can afford.

Offline Charles Garrett

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 12:06:49 PM »
Small bit of info:-  the 3 Heyco pliers.  The one on left was a Eifel mod by Heyco and the 2 on right were made by Heyco after the Eifel pats ran out.  They are a simplified version of Eifel for single  use and are still available from Heyco and are used to install strain reliefs.

There is a brief history by Bob Rogers of Koeth's pliers in the Dec issue of Gristmill.

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 01:44:12 PM »
Yadda and Charles Garrett is the one marked "8" A21" the earliest. The spring post is a screw instead of a pin and the jaws are unique and none of the other jaws will fit.

Also what is the earliest and latest year date code you have seen?  My 8-1/2s are from 1933 thru 1956.

And the 7"s are from 1933 thru 1952
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 09:46:12 PM by Bus »

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 02:42:46 PM »
Fantastic collection Bus, thank you for posting it! I've got a couple 8-1/2 inchers and a couple 7-inchers here, nothing particularly special about any of them though. If you get a moment and don't mind, I'd like to see some close up photos of the "sides are held together with a screws" please.
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline Charles Garrett

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 03:57:58 PM »
The 1920 8"/smooth handles is the earliest and I think the 1921A is the same with the forged stamp changed.  I also think that the 1922B 8 1/2  is a 21 with forge date changed.  I'm worling from memory now as all my stuff is gone and I'm weak in that area.

I don't think the 7" was produced after the late 50s.  The earliest date stamped as I recall was 1932.   The late 30s if made seem hard to come by.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 04:46:27 PM »
Hi Bus.  I've seen some of the Plierench Corporation plierenches with 60's dates.  I may even have one.  I know there are tools with 62 on them (a particularly good year in my opinion) and I believe I've seen later.  I don't believe Masterform, Vaco or Norpak dated any of their tools.

Eifel exhibited at the Pagent of Progress in Chicago in 1922. He had an exhibit with a giant 6 foot working model of his tool. A small photo exists in the World Flight Advertisement Book.  I think it is safe to assume he had versions of the tool to handle.  Due to manufacturing problems (funding?) he didn't ramp up manufacturing until 1921.

Great info Charles.  Thank you for sharing!  This (obviously) is an area of intense interest for me and any memories are welcome.  Do you know the collector that obtained your book?

You are correct about the earliest date.  Eifel introduced the 7 inch with his new patent in 32-33.  I'm a little less certain about the last 7 inchers manufactured.  Masterform made a 7 in. version.  I have one.  I don't believe it is dated.  It is a little wider than the original 7 in.  There is anecdotal evidence that Vaco manufactured a 7 inch.  I've seen the ads, but haven't seen the tool.  The Powr Kraft branded (Montgomery Ward) version may have come in 7 inches, but I haven't seen it and so far nothing indicates that a Powr Kraft 7 inch existed. 

Considering the marketing reach of Montgomery Ward you would think there would be millions of Powr Kraft branded plierenchs.  I've seen exactly 4 and two of those may have been the same tool.  I believe one was in Charles collection. 

My Nopak is actually a 6.5 inch tool. It has handles cut down from an 8.5 inch frame.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 08:40:55 PM by Yadda »

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 09:44:51 PM »
Below are photos of the 8"-A'21 and 8-1/2"-B'22 Models. The A21 has a screw for for the spring post instead of a pin like all the others. Also there is an indention in the side of the jaw opposite the side with the groove.

I would like to have a 1920 Model or at least a photo of one. Would also like a Masterform set like the bottom photo. Also a Montgomery Wards, Nopak and one of the Pivot Pliers. I do have an extra A21, B22 and a Vaco.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 09:58:54 PM by Bus »

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 09:53:35 PM »
If you get a moment and don't mind, I'd like to see some close up photos of the "sides are held together with a screws" please.

I made a mistake, I wrote that without looking at the pliers. A screw is used instead of a spring for the spring post. See the photos above.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 10:49:18 AM »
Below are photos of the 8"-A'21 and 8-1/2"-B'22 Models. The A21 has a screw for for the spring post instead of a pin like all the others. Also there is an indention in the side of the jaw opposite the side with the groove.

I would like to have a 1920 Model or at least a photo of one. Would also like a Masterform set like the bottom photo. Also a Montgomery Wards, Nopak and one of the Pivot Pliers. I do have an extra A21, B22 and Vaco.

The 1920 model and the pivot pliers are rare. Photos exist of the pivot pliers, but I like you haven't seen the 1920. 

Offline Charles Garrett

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 12:36:58 PM »
The 21A with the detent in side of jaw makes it difficult to use later jaws with the handles. They tend to jam.   If it has smooth handles it is at least near identical to 1920.