Author Topic: Tool store full of new old stock  (Read 5992 times)

Offline kxxr

Tool store full of new old stock
« on: September 01, 2011, 07:47:53 PM »
I was in a store I have been to a few times before but it is so big and packed full of stuff that I discover new things every time I go. Today I found this:

There are Herbrand and Herbrand Canada sockets along with brand new Indestro Super sockets, a ton of Easco wrenches and sockets, old SK, Armstrong, Williams, Old Forge and lots of other stuff I lost track of. Does anyone think this wrench has been sitting in that store for 30 plus years? I flat out asked him about the Easco having been there 20 years and he said yes. I also asked if it ever goes on sale and he said no. His prices are very steep for most of the stuff, though 12 bucks for a 32 mm Herbrand seems reasonable. He only had $10 on the 3/8 drive 10 piece rail of Indestro Supers, which I thought was pretty good too.
If anyone wants to pay full retail plus shipping for some brand new Easco, I'd be happy to help out.

Offline kxxr

Re: Tool store full of new old stock
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 04:41:12 PM »
I was hoping someone would comment on this wrench. Does this Herbrand logo look familiar to anyone and if so, what vintage? I haven't seen a Herbrand with the sharp V in the opening that I recall either. This is a big wrench, 32mm. The logo is hard to make out I know. I tried to enlarge but that just made it worse. Anyone know anything about it?

Offline rusty

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 06:59:14 PM »

Herbrand went back to a V opening after the 50's, and also dropped the panel design, and added letters after the wrench part number. They kept the Van Chrome for a while tho, your wrench probably is after that somewhat (60's???)

PS: did you see any 3/4 drive SK sockets?
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 07:14:41 PM »
I did not look closely at the sk stuff but he has some. Any particulars other than the 3/4 drive?

Offline rusty

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 07:28:34 PM »

Not really, my working tools are Sk, mostly because I can find decent stuff here and there. 3/4 drive stuff is an exception tho, I never see it.

A swivel head ratchet might get me excited tho....

Depends tho, if he's asking $12 for that Herbrand, he's not giving anything away...
(It's worth that, but not much more)

(One of the local hardware stores cleaned up the back room a while back and put a bunch of new old SK sockets on the table dirt cheap, I got all excited, till I realized they were *all* the same size socket...)

Still don't understand why SK stopped selling through the hardware stores, *sigh*

Offline kxxr

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 11:50:54 PM »
Montana must be sk country. I see it everywhere. I never gave a thought to looking to see if any of them were 3/4 drive and I'm not sure I'd have noticed if I was staring one right in the face. I only think 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2. I'll have to take a look in the garage to see if any of the big ones I have are 3/4. Wow, I went and checked ebay for 3/4 sk. woooohoooo!!! EXPENSIVE!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 02:33:42 AM by kxxr »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 12:25:54 AM »
Personally, I like open ends with a "V" gullet, like Bonney and old Cornwell.

P.S. If he has any of the old Williams "Superrench" obstruction wrenches, pick his brain for a price.
Ratchet Guru

Offline kxxr

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 01:02:04 AM »
I'll check, but I'm afraid it's a worst case scenario. My thought is that the guy is a tool nut who has already made his money and just keeps the store as a place to go every day. I can't think of any other reason any retailer could afford to have stock turnover rates greater than 30 years. You start to calculate his original investment, money tied up that isn't making interest or buying inventory that turns and shelf space, he's probably realistically got a hundered or 3 tied up in each one of those 20 - 40 year old tools. No wonder it never goes on sale at this point. In retail, he's already lost more money than it is possible to make back selling to joe public. It's kind of crazy.
I picked out an Easco 1/4" breaker bar and the price, 'with my discount' was 15 something. Probably not bad, but no bargain either. I think it's a damn shame that most of that stuff will sit there another 20 years at least.
Unless the place were to change hands. Could be a big sale somewhere in the future. I did buy a brand new 10 piece rail of Indestro Super metric 3/8 drive sockets for $10 though. A few of his prices are good. I'll see about the Superrench situation.
Speaking of Bonney though, I did see a shiny new full polish double open end with the 'obstruction' angle on one end for $8 and change. Like these (bad picture, in a hurry)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 02:38:55 AM by kxxr »

Offline Dustin21

• Defiance Ohio
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 01:31:40 AM »
id be interested in a rack of the indestro supers how many piece set is it ? 6 point, 12point?
i love sk tools/boxes and indestro super/select tools if you have any for sale or want to part with let me know.  also need a  7/8 williams superench

Offline kxxr

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 02:04:40 AM »
he had the 10 piece rail of Indestro shrink wrapped and when I got it home I found it was mixed vintage with some Duros thrown in, mostly 12 point I think. I do have more than a hand full of Indestro in various states of condition though. Is it just the Supers you are inerested in? I can see what I have. They were the only ones he had. And, for $10 bucks, I think he didn't think to highly of them.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 02:07:20 AM by kxxr »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 11:38:11 AM »
Those Bonney's looks like their ignition style with the non- V gullet opening. Nice if you work on old condenser/points ignition systems. Do they even make points anymore?
Ratchet Guru

Offline rusty

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 11:42:15 AM »
>Do they even make points anymore?

Lots of lawnmower engines still have mechanical ignition setup's...tho, generally you don't need a weird wrench to get to them.

That Bonney set is tempting, but I have 2 complete Craftsman sets as it is...
(I do use them for oddball things from time to time, they are handy, if a bit weak)

Offline J.A.F.E.

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 06:27:37 PM »

... Do they even make points anymore?

Replacement points for older vehicles are still generally available although most of them are not very good.

Mechanical points haven't been used in this country in motor vehicles in a couple decades mostly because of all electronic replacements being able to manage better the needs of fuel mileage and pollution control.
All my taste is in my tools.

Offline rusty

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 07:07:10 PM »

Ahh...yes...ford dual breaker ignition....

It didn't work right when the vehicle rolled off the factory floor, and it isn't going to work right after you finish adjusting it for three hours ; P

The good old days.. :)