Author Topic: Some Cool Looking Wrenches...Anything Special Here?  (Read 5921 times)

Offline CRTDI

Some Cool Looking Wrenches...Anything Special Here?
« on: January 02, 2014, 06:56:41 PM »
Picked up some cool looking old wrenches today. This area of tool collecting is really out of my realm, but I do like some of the unique designs. As this seems to be the place for the expert wrench collectors, could you please tell me if there is anything here that's special, or do I just have a small pile of some rather common wrenches.

The OE on the big one here measures 4 3/8". It's rather light and appears to be made from aluminum.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:10:45 PM by CRTDI »

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
Re: Some Cool Looking Wrenches...Anything Special Here?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 08:32:55 PM »
some garden variety and some interesting toys

I like the oil can at the edge of the pic

Skip
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 08:40:51 PM »
The Sanders is good. The buggy wrench is fair, depending on the lettering. Should read either Miller Vehicle or St. Louis wrench, but if the lettering is to faint, it will hurt it a lot.

Looking closer, the Sanders looks a little pitted, but still a good wrench. The buggy looks like it is a St. Louis. If the price is right, never pass any up, never know what you will find out later on.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:47:24 PM by rustcollector »

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 08:41:48 PM »
Interesting group. I like the Sanders wrench best. The Ladish is milking equipment wrench and I would have bought it if price was right. The palm ratchet is a bit unique. I have or have had one but can't locate right now. The Standard and Planet Jr are pretty common. Some of the others I can't ID from the photos. Always a little tricky knowing which ones are past saving due to condition issues. The concrete tool is interesting and I would have bought it but would not expect to gain big money from it. If you got these on one morning I think you did well.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 03:23:47 AM »
Never seen a "HARROLD'S ADJUSTABLE WRENCH" before, dose it work?
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline HeelSpur

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 05:09:04 PM »
Never seen a "HARROLD'S ADJUSTABLE WRENCH" before, dose it work?
I was gonna ask about that wrench too, I have a 8" one and was wondering what size it was.
Looks about an 8.
I know where one of those large aluminum wrenches is, the guy has $15 on it, been eyeballing it for a year now.
RooK E

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 05:48:34 PM »
The concrete tool is interesting...
Just so you understand, the concrete tool is the thing with the spine on the bottom at he left side of your display.  Stortz and Son is still in business - five generations! - so you might be able to find out age from them, if you're interested (http://www.stortz.com/).  Kind of neat that there's a presumably small company still making that kind of tool.  I doubt there's a collector's market for it, unless it turns out to be old and highly desired by the probably tiny population of collectors of that company's products (all, no doubt, located within five miles of the route of the Mummer's Parade).

The "Palm-Grip" next to it is a ratchet, intended by its inventor to do quick tightening of a bolt/screw before getting out the regular ratchet handle for final tightening.  I've got one; I've never used it, because I always forget I have it until the job's done.  But it's a neat thing to have.  Not likely to be collectible/valuable.

Offline rusty

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 06:07:30 PM »
The PalmGrip  has been reincarnated by MIT* as Tekton #1466....(made in china most likely)

*Michigan Industrial Tools
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 10:59:51 PM »
Wow..! A big thanks for everybody's expertise here. I really appreciate your help. My son and I were out rummaging around in an old shop near a rural community. After a couple of hours, we came to an agreement with the seller, and walked out with these items. 

The oil can is an old 2 gallon Unity from TN.

The buggy wrench does indeed faintly read St. Louis.

The Harrold's adjustable, I believe is a 4" model. It does move, but needs cleaning and lube to function properly.

The palm ratchet actually works quite well with a nice action after cleaning and lube.

I find it almost unbelievable that Storz is still in business...amazing!

I really like the big 'ol milk wrench and the little concrete tool, but my favorite out of this lot is strangely enough the little stubby wrench with the big open ends. I can't really make out marking on this one.

Thanks Again!

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 07:05:15 AM »
I see the Sanders listed on ebay. Not trying to be a jerk, but you might want to check into different shipping methods. Shows up at $17.50 to ship to me, that's almost the whole value of the wrench to me. A medium flat rate box would even be better.

Offline HeelSpur

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 08:38:35 AM »

The Harrold's adjustable, I believe is a 4" model. It does move, but needs cleaning and lube to function properly.

Thanks Again!
Did you measure the Harrolds? It looks larger than a 4.
RooK E

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 09:48:35 AM »
Interesting group. I like the Sanders wrench best. The Ladish is milking equipment wrench and I would have bought it if price was right. The palm ratchet is a bit unique. I have or have had one but can't locate right now. The Standard and Planet Jr are pretty common. Some of the others I can't ID from the photos. Always a little tricky knowing which ones are past saving due to condition issues. The concrete tool is interesting and I would have bought it but would not expect to gain big money from it. If you got these on one morning I think you did well.

I had one. Made out of plastic, but, virtually identical to this one.
Ratchet Guru

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 03:54:39 PM »
Bonneyman,

Very interesting to see this style ratchet with a plastic housing. I wonder if is any less durable. Maybe wouldn't want to drop it if using in freezing temps?

I picked up a coffee can with some more old wrenches today.

A couple of B.F. Avery wrenches.

A Billings "S" wrench and an unknown one that looks similar to a Pitts cut-out wrench I saw in an auction catalog.

Very excited about my first ever cut-out wrench. I collect late 30's to 50's Blackhawk tools and understand this isn't the same company, but it's a cool find for me.

Another unknown maker.

The group pic.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:09:42 PM by CRTDI »

Offline bill300d

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 07:33:30 PM »
That last wrench you showed looks like a Ford wrench Most likely made by either Moore Drop Forge or Vlchek. As pitted as it looks you may not figure out who made it. Moore used a M in a circle and Vlchek used either their v shield logo or an *.

By the way I like the rest of your coffee can contents.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 09:13:56 AM »
Any body know what the pin in the Blackhawk wrench was used for?
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most