Author Topic: Vintage Wiss Inlaid No.7 Tin Snips PROJECT! Before & After pics  (Read 3904 times)

Matt Sykeny

I decided to try to refurbish this old antique pair of Wiss Inlaid  No.7 Tin Snips. They have the High Carbon blades. It was in really rough shape when I got it. Probably didn't do anything for the value , But it sure does look a lot better. All that is left to do is re-sharpen the blades and I'm done. Lots of hours of buffing, sanding, priming and painting. Since I'm addicted to buying Silver Bullion, This will probably end up on eBay. Just figured I would share with everyone.  First picks are before and then the after pictures.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
Re: Vintage Wiss Inlaid No.7 Tin Snips PROJECT! Before & After pics
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 05:03:21 PM »
Hi Matt,
Welcome to ToolTalk from Wisconsin!  When I saw the title 'Inlaid Snips' I conjured up visions of mother-of-pearl or ebony or something. How are theses inlaid? Very nice work I might add. Very nice.
John
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline FatMatt_92fs

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 06:47:04 PM »
To answer your question, "How are these Inlaid"?

WISS  Inlaid  Blade  Snips
The qualities in steel which make far greatest toughness in a snip do not provide lasting keenness. For example, the tougher, 
unbreakable, malleable steels which are ideal for the frame will not take and hold an edge. Conversely, high-carbon steels 
which yield a superior cutting edge are somewhat brittle. That's why WISS combines both types by the INLAID PROCESS;that is
a high-carbon crucible steel blade is welded to a tough steel frame. Producing a snip which is practically indestructible. 

Offline Papa Tango

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 06:58:24 PM »
Welcome and thanks for the post.  That is fine looking work.  I really enjoy seeing tools that restored and/or refurbished.  Good job!

Offline Branson

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 06:58:25 AM »
Wiss better made scissors and shears were (and actually still are) "inlaid."  Basically, just as Matt said, the "inlay" is high carbon forge welded in to form the cutting edge. 

It's just Wiss' name for a procedure used in making a lot of other tools, more commonly called "laminated."  All of my broad hatches and broad axes are made this way, and all of my old mortis and firmer chisels as well.  Come to think of it, my old blacksmith bench shears are made this way, too.

Good looking job on those snips, too.  I like 'em!

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 04:34:39 AM »
In the old days it was called "steeling" a tool, particular when the body of the tool was made of wrought iron. Also many English  tools like scissors and tin snips were not laminated but  made of two pieces, high carbon steel blade and wrought iron handle, Some English tin snips were hand made that way up to WW2. I also think that those Wiss snips have gained value and usefulness and now look wanted, loved even!
Graeme

Offline Fins/413

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 05:21:10 AM »
Welcome from North Carolina and those are mighty sexy for tin snips.
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 E150 Ford van

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »
Nice work on the refurb, Matt!

To elaborate on what FatMatt_92fs wrote:

Kijiji King